Glasgow Photo Library
- Strathclyde University
The story of Strathclyde University begins in 1796 when John Anderson, Professor of Natural Philosophy at Glasgow University, left in his will a legacy for "a place of useful learning", a university open to everyone, regardless of gender or class. Anderson's University opened its first premises in late 1796. By the 1890s, Anderson's University had become a major technological institution with a wide reputation for research and learning.
In 1910 the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College Building (now the Royal College Building) in George Street was opened - at the time, it was the largest building in Europe dedicated to technical education. Soon after, the institution was renamed the Royal Technical College.
In 1964, having merged with the Scottish College of Commerce, which offered a wide range of business and arts subjects, the Royal College was granted a charter to become the University of Strathclyde.
At that time, the campus was expanded rapidly and took over a speculative office block, (Livingstone Tower - see picture here), not far from the Royal College Building. It has expanded considerably since then, building premises in the surrounding area to accommodate 20,000 students. It also provides short courses and professional development for over 50,000 people a year, making it the UK's largest provider of postgraduate and professional education.
Go to the next Glasgow location: Suspension Bridge, South Portland Street
Or return to the Glasgow Photo Library Index>.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Places to Visit>