Lighthouse Beacons from Scotland

Killantringan Lighthouse


Photo by Ann Cook via Wikimedia Commons



Killantringan Lighthouse is a lighthouse located near Portpatrick in Dumfries and Galloway, south-west Scotland.

The light came into operation in 1900, and served as a waypoint in the North Channel of the Irish Sea. The name Killantringan is derived from 'Cill saint Ringain' - St Ringan's chapel; Ringan is a mediaeval variation of Ninian. Photo by Ann Cook via Wikimedia Commons

Sanction for the Northern Lighthouse Board to build the lighthouse was granted in 1897. It was constructed by David Alan Stevenson, one of the large family of "Lighthouse Stevensons" The engineer's report specified a powerful fog signal was also required. The lighthouse entered service on 1 October 1900 and an earlier light at Portpartick was discontinued.


The light gave a flashing signal of two flashes in quick succession every minute. When used, the fog signal was 3 blasts: low, low, high in quick succession every 1 minutes.

The light was automated in 1988, with the fog signal having been discontinued the previous year. Photo by Ann Cook via Wikimedia Commons

Following a comprehensive review of services by the UK's three General Lighthouse Authorities in 2005, it was decided that Killantringan was surplus to requirements - serving primarily as a waypoint. The light was permanently discontinued in January 2007, with the light and lenses being removed and donated abroad, and the property sold. Photo by Paul Jenkins via Wikimedia Commons

The light keepers' house and the smaller adjacent cottage are let as self-catering holiday accommodation by the current owners


Return to Index of Lighthouse Beacons from Scotland



Where else would you like to go in Scotland?




Separator line